Get a head start in the digital information age by honing your media and journalism skills. Learn through a hands-on approach from journalist-trainers who know the trends. Enrollment has started for the third generation of the Media and Journalism Master Classes, organized by the Institute of Communication Studies and IREX, within the USAID Media Literacy Project “YouThink”. Registration lasts until February 4 (Sunday).
What exactly are the Master Classes?
The Master Classes are a combination of lectures, discussions, exercises and practical work. They will take place during February and March, lasting for three days, through presentations and discussions with experienced journalist-trainers, after which the participants, working in teams, will create media products, with mentorship support.
The master classes are intended for young people aged 19 to 34, including students, young journalists and those who want to upgrade their digital media skills.
The program is free of charge, and for participants outside of Skopje, the organizer will cover the costs of accommodation and transportation. After completing the master classes, participants receive a certificate. For the participants who show particular interest and proactivity during the training, a paid one-month internship in a media outlet will be provided.
You will learn:
- How to grab the audience’s attention;
- To write for the web with SEO optimization;
- To promote web content on social media;
- To visualize data with free tools;
- To check the credibility of visual information and recognize manipulations with artificial intelligence;
- To apply the basic techniques of video recording and photography;
- To narrate through video and prepare video content for social media;
- To use free apps for editing via mobile phone.
Creating web content
- Why and how do we consume online content?
- Basic principles of writing for the web
- Rules and tips for structuring an online story
- Writing with SEO optimization
- Promotion of web content on social media
Verification and visualization of data online
- Data visualization and creation of infographics
- Checking manipulations with visual and other content that is created with artificial intelligence and published on the web and social media
Creating video content for social media with a mobile phone
- Basic mobile phone video recording techniques
- Free mobile video editing apps
- Storytelling through video
- Storytelling through people and interview
- Preparing a podcast
Production of a final media product