Virtual Conference “Green Agenda for the Western Balkans as an Incentive for Water Protection in North Macedonia”
The acceleration of the pace of economic growth and development was accompanied by environmental degradation in North Macedonia but also in the countries of the region. The economic and investment plan, together with the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans, set out the Green Transition Strategy for the countries in the region.
Water quality is also one of the priorities of the Green Agenda in Chapter 27 – Environment and Climate Change. North Macedonia needs to make significant efforts to implement the EU legislation in this area, including measures to reduce pollution and destruction of rivers and lakes, as well as to invest in water infrastructure, in order to sustainably use and protect the waters. In addition to the continued commitment of the national authorities, financial resources are needed that the country cannot secure on its own.
The European Policy Institute in cooperation with the Institute of Communication Studies, as part of the campaign “Clean it up!”, invite you to the virtual conference “Green Agenda for the Western Balkans as an incentive for water protection in North Macedonia”, which will be held on 3 March (Wednesday) at 10:30 am via the Zoom platform.
Welcoming speeches will be made by President Stevo Pendarovski, British Ambassador Rachel Galloway, Minister of Environment and Physical Planning Naser Nuredini and other relevant speakers who will share the preconditions and challenges for implementation of the Green Agenda in terms of sustainable use and maintenance of waters in North Macedonia.
The event will be broadcasted live on Facebook. Translation in Macedonian, Albanian and English is provided.
10:30 – 10:40 Welcoming speech
- Simonida Kacarska, Director, Institute for European Policy
- Zhaneta Trajkoska, Director, Institute for Communication Studies
10:40 – 10:50 Welcoming address
- Stevo Pendarovski, President of the Republic of North Macedonia
- H.E. Rachel Galloway, Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the Republic of North Macedonia
10:50– 11:45 Introductory speeches by the panelists
- Naser Nuredini, Minister of Environment and Physical Planning
- Davor Perchan, Head of Bilateral and Regional Environmental Cooperation, Directorate of Environment, European Commission
- Dr. Svetislav Krstic, Professor, Institute of Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics – Skopje
- Orhideja Kaljoshevska, Coordinator for North Macedonia, Investment Framework for the Western Balkans
- Jadranka Ivanova, Head, Program: Supporting Albania for Environmental Accession Negotiations – Chapter 27 (SANE27)
11:45– 12:30 Q&A