Do you want to acquire skills and tips for the digital information age? Sign up for the “Get ready for the Digital Age” master classes on media and journalism, organized by the Institute of Communication Studies and IREX, as part of the USAID Media Literacy Project, YouThink.
About the classes
The master classes are a combination of intensive training, physical presence and practical work. They will be delivered during May and June, in a period of 5 days, three of which are intended for sessions and discussions with coaches who are prominent journalists, and two for production of multimedia products in teams and under mentorship of the coaches.
The master classes are designed for young people aged 19 to 34, including students, young journalists and those who want to upgrade their digital media skills.
The master classes are free, and the accommodation and travel expenses will be covered for the participants coming from outside Skopje. Upon completion of the master classes, the participants shall acquire a certificate and 3 ECTS credits
What will you learn?
- To be able to identify the challenges of the online media in the digital age;
- Use tools to verify information from social media;
- Collect data from the Internet and transform it into information worth publishing;
- Visualize using (interactive) infographics, maps and audio slides;
- Blogging and writing in a web-friendly way;
- Create and promote your own blog and engage your web audience;
- Edit pictures, audio or video for the web;
- Produce stories, vlogs and podcasts with a mobile phone;
- Use multimedia production applications.
The Challenges of the Digital Age – Digital Media and the Necessary Skills for Today’s Information Environment
Creating web content
- Web writing and narrative storytelling
- Basics of optimization (SEO)
- Creating a WordPress blog
- Promoting a blog
Gathering, fact-checking and visualization of data and facts for the web
- Fact-checking information from social media
- Data collection using web databases
- Visualization (infographics, maps, audio slides)
Multimedia content and mobile journalism
- Essential techniques for shooting video with a mobile phone
- Audio and video recording and editing applications
- Video storytelling and human-angle stories (interview)
- Video for social media, vlog and video podcast
Making a multimedia product